Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hospital scare..

So yesterday I woke up when K was getting ready for work and my face felt swollen. I went and looked in the mirror and YEP it sure was. My eyes being almond shaped and the fact that I am half Japanese so I fat eye lids anyway were REALLY swollen. It alarmed me a bit but since my hands and feet were fine I did not think about it. I went back to sleep not thinking twice. When I woke up to take the girls to school I had a headache and was having some cramping.. So I got up and got them ready and took them to school, on my way home I was SOOOOOOOOO uncomfortable and crampy. So I got home and fed the girls, the WHOLE time I was contracting and just kept thinking about what I needed to do that day. Well by the time the girls nap time came I had been steadily contracting. Nothing serious or painful but I just noticed they would not go away. So after I laid them down I sat for a while and drank lots of water to see if that would help them go away, it did. But then around 4-4:30 they came back full force and with pressure.. i told K when he got home around 6 that I think I needed to call the Dr. he asked me to wait a little while. So during the time of waiting they were getting more and more frequent. I laid the babies down for bed and told Kayle and her friend ( who was spending the night) to get their things ready for bed. I called Dr. B and he called me right back and told me to come in.

I get to the hospital and am immediately put into a room. I gave them a urine sample and get put on the monitors and as soon and they put it on I can see the contractions. I knew something was up when the nurse had another nurse come into the room to read the dip stick. I had trace amounts of protein in my urine, NOT GOOD. So i started to get worried. They gave me a shot of terbutaline and NOTHING it did NOTHING, So 15 minutes later when my contractions were still coming every 1-3 minutes they gave me another, Then i started to get a bit of relief but still felt a LOT of pressure. I had them check me and I was 1cm dilated but -2 which means the baby was still high and the inside of my cervix was closed, GREAT NEWS!! But these contractions would NOT stop. So I got another shot still nothing. I was seriously thinking I was going to have Caroline at 32 freaking weeks!! yes I know she would survive but she would be in the NICU for a while and I would NEVER want to relive seeing a baby i gave birth to in there, it is just horrible seeing them hooked up to tubes and monitors. So they started me on something called Procardia which they have started to use instead of magnesium. It did not fully stop them but it definitely spaced them out. I felt so scared. I was by myself in the hospital and all I wanted was K next to me telling me it would be OK, not listening to his calm voice over the phone telling me to be strong and joking that I'd better not have this baby yet. being strong, sweet, yet firm with me that things would be just fine. I was so scared for M&M that they'd have a preemie on their hands because of me. That their lives would never be the same, that Caroline would never be that normal wonderful child, nothing against children with disabilities cause they are just as wonderful but they do come with their challenges, more than a healthy full term child does. I just did not want that for her, for M&M. So around 11pm they gave me my first of 3 doses of the Procardia, at this point I was so sleepy i had already been given an Ambien when they gave me my last shot of terbutaline at 10:15 so by this time it had kicked and I was just so tired from not sleeping well the past few days cause we got a new puppy and I had to wake up in the middle of the night several nights in a row to take him out to potty.. I then found out I was staying the night and that I would have to have one dose of Procardia once an hr for 3 hrs straight, so that meant being woke up every hr. till 1am. so i got through that but then I was so worried about the contractions and Caroline that i kept waking up and looking at the monitor to see how bad my contractions really were.. They never did stop, just got further and further apart. even now I am having them at least 2-3 every hr. I was sent home with a prescription for the Procardia, to take it every6 hrs. as needed. And if my vaginal pressure gets any worse to call them. So far so good no real pressure just the contractions. I am VERY happy that through all those contractions, and Caroline already being engaged in my pelvis ON my cervix that my cervix did not change or dilate. So i have not been put on bed rest or anything like that, just been told to take it easy. Yes that will be easy..NOT, not with 4 kids and a house to keep clean. So that was my scare and for me a pretty big one considering I have never gone into pre-term labor.

No comments: